Florence, SC Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
With South Carolina’s warm weather and stunning views, motorcycle riding is a favorite pastime. While the number of motorcyclists on the road has gone up dramatically over the years, driver education focused on being safe around riders has not. In fact, many drivers still routinely fail to see or plan for motorcyclists while on the road. This creates an unsafe environment for bikers, putting them at risk of being injured in an accident.
Being in a motorcycle accident can lead to serious physical injury, financial loss, and mental trauma. You deserve an attorney who will fight for just compensation on your behalf. Get started now by calling at Peake & Fowler at 803-788-4370. As bikers who love riding as much as you do, our experienced Florence, SC motorcycle crash attorneys will work hard to secure the full and fair compensation you deserve.
What to Do After a Florence, SC Motorcycle Accident
The moments and hours immediately following a motorcycle accident are among the most important in your entire claim. After an accident, evidence can start disappearing right away. The sooner you act and take the right steps for your personal injury claim, the better chance you have of building a strong case.
After a motorcycle accident in Florence, you should:
- Report the accident. Report the accident to the authorities immediately. For you to be compensated for your injuries and property damage, you’ll likely need a police report.
- Get to a safe place. Move yourself and your motorcycle off the road if you are in danger of being hit again.
- Take pictures and video footage of the accident scene. Get as much evidence as you can. Photos and video footage from multiple distances and angles can paint a clear picture of the crash for your attorney. If you have a camera on your motorcycle, save the footage of the crash.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other party. You may do this through a police officer if the other party is aggressive or uncooperative, but either way, make sure you have the information you need to hold them accountable.
- Get contact information from witnesses. If any witnesses stopped to prove help, make sure you get their contact information before leaving the scene. Your lawyer may wish to contact them.
- Seek medical attention. You may only feel a little sore or not feel injured at all. However, injuries from vehicle collisions can be hard to identify right away. The rush of adrenaline you experience during an accident limits your body’s ability to feel pain, so injuries may not become obvious until much later. Make sure you get medical care right away, both for the sake of your physical health and your ability to seek compensation.
- Contact a Florence, SC motorcycle accident lawyer. You should retain a motorcycle accident attorney before you have any contact with the insurance companies. Your attorney will help you know what to say and do.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Florence, SC
A number of factors contribute to motorcycle crashes. Common causes linked to these collisions include:
- Turning left in front of a motorcycle.
- Changing lanes while a motorcycle is in a vehicle’s blind spot.
- Following a motorcycle too closely.
- Driving while impaired.
- Driving while fatigued.
- Unsafe road conditions.
- Unclear signage.
- Malfunctioning vehicle components.
Motorcycle Accident Compensation
The amount of compensation you are entitled to receive after a collision depends entirely on the circumstances of your crash and the strength of your attorney. Generally, the more an accident interferes with your life and your daily routines, the more money you may receive. However, you don’t simply receive a lump sum for being in an accident. Your compensation is broken down into multiple categories, including:
- Medical fees and expenses. This includes ambulance expenses, medication copays, mileage to and from appointments, surgical bills, and anything else related to your medical care. If your injuries are severe and will likely require future care, you may also get money for future medical expenses.
- Lost wages and future lost wages. Time spent away from work can leave your family struggling financially. If your ability to work is permanently impacted, you may receive additional compensation.
- Property damage. Whether your motorcycle needs to be repaired or replaced, those expenses should be included in your settlement.
- Disability and/or disfigurement. The loss of mobility or independence often requires an individual to recreate their life. The same is true for disfiguring injuries. This type of compensation assists victims in that area.
- Mental anguish. Those involved in serious accidents are sometimes left with PTSD or other mental health needs. This compensation aims to help victims with the mental struggles they endure because of an accident.
- Pain and suffering. The pain caused by an accident is often debilitating. Victims deserve compensation for their suffering during and after an accident.
Why You Need a Florence, SC Motorcycle Accident Attorney
At Peake & Fowler, we strive to help accident victims like you get what you are owed after an accident. Motorcyclists have lots of hurdles to clear when trying to get a full and fair settlement. First, it is likely that you are far more injured than the driver or passengers of the car that hit you. Motorcycles simply offer less physical protection, so riders’ injuries are likely to be more serious.
Second, there is a societal bias against motorcyclists. Insurance companies and drivers view motorcyclists as people who infringe on a car’s right to the road, rather than someone who has equal rights on the road. Furthermore, many view motorcyclists as inherently risky and careless, so there’s an assumption that any accident involving a motorcyclist is the rider’s fault.
The team at Peake & Fowler understands firsthand the challenges facing riders. We know how hard insurance companies fight to prevent riders from getting full compensation. From implying that the accident was your fault to trying to coerce a recorded statement out of you, insurance adjusters do anything they can to protect their profit margins. Their priority is their bottom line. Our priority is your wellbeing and stability after an accident.
From conducting a thorough investigation of the accident to assessing your injuries and other losses, we will be with you every step of the way. As a result, you’ll get to focus on healing and recuperating, rather than dodging calls from insurance companies.
The Team at Peake & Fowler is Ready to Help
The sooner you get in touch with us to start your motorcycle accident claim, the sooner we can start helping you fight. Schedule a consultation now by contacting our team online or calling us at 803-788-4370.