Personal Injury Attorneys in Dentsville, SC
An injury can change the rest of your life. One person’s decision to turn in front of you a red light, not put enough salt on the ice outside their shop or put a leash on their dog could leave you with physical and mental injuries that impact you every day. What are your options? How do you handle the unexpected time away from work, medical bills, and financial insecurity that comes with unexpected injuries?
If someone else is responsible for the accident that caused your injuries, you may have options. While a financial award may not undo the damage caused by the accident, it can at least give you the foundation you need to begin healing and moving forward. Find out if you have a valid personal injury claim by talking to our team today. Call Peake & Fowler at 803-788-4370.
Why You Need a Dentsville Personal Injury Attorney
It’s common to wonder whether or not you really need a personal injury lawyer after an accident, especially if there are no serious injuries. However, the most important thing to remember is this: the insurance company does not have your best interests at heart, nor do they care if you actually receive enough money to pay your medical bills and other expenses.
It does not matter how obvious is it that their client caused the accident. They want to drive your settlement offer down as far as possible to maximize profits and take care of their shareholders. Your needs are somewhere near the bottom of their priority list.
They’ll do a lot to make sure they don’t have to pay a full and fair settlement. They might ask you for a recorded statement, which they will then pick apart to look for things they can use against you. They might downplay the severity of your injuries or talk you out of hiring an attorney, claiming that their settlement offer is the best you will get from anyone.
You simply cannot trust the insurance company’s adjuster when you are trying to get what you deserve after an accident. You need an attorney whose sole goal is to get you the compensation you deserve. That’s where our team comes in.
Common Types of Personal Injury Cases
At Peake & Fowler, we have handled a wide variety of personal injury cases throughout the northeast Columbia area. Some of the cases we take on for our clients include:
- Vehicle collisions. Car crashes are incredibly common across the United States, and many accidents result in injuries requiring medical treatment. Whether you were injured in a car, commercial truck, or motorcycle crash, we can help you pursue compensation.
- Railway accidents. Railway accidents are fairly complicated, as some railways are the responsibility of local municipalities while others are owned by national companies or agencies. This can affect the statute of limitations and your ability to file a claim.
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents. Bicyclists and pedestrians have rights on the road, but drivers often violate those rights. We’ll help you seek compensation for your injuries and lost wages.
- Nursing home abuse. When a nursing home care provider or administrator violates the trust that you’ve placed in them by neglecting or abusing your loved one, your family member deserves compensation for what they’ve been through. We can help you determine who is responsible and push for full and fair compensation.
- Workplace injuries. While many workplace accidents fall under the category of workers’ compensation, accidents involving an outside third party are often considered personal injuries. We’ll help you determine where your case lies and hold the third party accountable.
- Serious injuries and wrongful death. Some accidents are so severe that they leave victims with lifelong consequences. Other accidents are fatal, leaving behind grieving family members and friends. We’ll push to determine liability and seek justice.
How Much Is Your Claim Worth?
There is no quick and easy answer to this question. A lot of factors go into what each accident victim receives. Some relevant factors that may impact your claim include:
- The amount and type of injuries you have
- The type of accident you were involved in
- How much fault you have in the accident
- The amount of evidence available
- The insurance limits of the liable party and any assets the liable party owns
- Which attorney you choose
However, many accident victims receive compensation in the form of a settlement negotiated by their attorney with the insurance company. Most personal injury claims do not ever reach the courtroom and are settled informally. This saves both sides money and negates the risk of receiving nothing after a drawn-out court battle.
Compensation is typically divided into two categories: economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include medical bills, lost wages, and property damage. These are items that can be easily calculated and verified. Non-economic damages include items like pain and suffering, loss of consortium, mental anguish, and disfigurement. While they do not have a clear monetary value, the court recognizes that victims do receive compensation for these losses.
There is a third category: punitive damages. Money awarded in this category does still go to the victim, but its primary goal is to punish the liable party. By awarding punitive damages, the court hopes to dissuade the perpetrator and anyone else watching from committing similar acts in the future. Punitive damages are only awarded in extreme cases of malice or wanton negligence.
The more evidence you have supporting your claim, the more negotiating power your attorney has. The sooner you connect with a Dentsville personal injury lawyer, the sooner they can begin working on your case.
The Team at Peake & Fowler Works for You
We understand that this time must be frustrating and overwhelming for you. That’s why we’re so committed to helping you fight for the compensation you truly deserve. Whether you’ve been injured in a fall, a car crash, or another type of accident, it’s time to talk. Call us at 803-788-4370 or get in touch online to get started.