Personal Injury Attorneys in Columbia, SC
For years, the diligent lawyers at Peake & Fowler have been focusing their entire practice on representing injury clients. It is what we do, it is all we do and we do it well. We have a deep understanding of the ins and outs of South Carolina personal injury law. More importantly we care about our community. Our accident attorneys have built their lives in the Columbia area. We work hard to make sure our neighbors are afforded every protection of the law.
Handling a wide variety of personal injury cases in and around Columbia, SC
From car crashes to nursing home abuse our knowledgeable injury lawyers have seen it all. We know the devastation a bad accident or serious injury causes a family. We diligently work to secure maximum compensation on our clients’ behalf. Our South Carolina personal injury attorneys handle all the messy legal details so you can focus on rebuilding your life.
We handle motor vehicle cases involving:
- Auto accidents—including T-bone, rear-end, front-end, sideswipe, multi-car, and all other types of accidents. Auto accidents are often caused by driver negligence stemming from speeding, distracted driving, intoxication, and other careless behaviors.
- Motorcycle accidents—including accidents that leave the rider with broken bones, road rash, traumatic brain injuries, and more. Motorcyclists are often at the mercy of drivers of larger vehicles. When those motorists drive recklessly, the motorcyclist’s life could be in danger.
- Truck collisions—including accidents caused by fatigued, distracted, impaired, or otherwise reckless truckers. Incompetent truck drivers can wreak havoc on the road, leaving helpless injury victims to suffer after an accident occurs.
- Pedestrian accidents—including collisions that occur in crosswalks, sidewalks, the side of the road, and other kinds of accidents. Negligent drivers who fail to follow basic road laws leave pedestrians vulnerable to catastrophic injuries that could change their lives forever.
- Bicycle accidents– including collisions that occur on sidewalks, the side of the road, or in other locations. Negligent drivers who fail to follow basic road laws leave cyclists vulnerable to catastrophic injuries that could leave them suffering with long term injuries or even death.
- School and playground accidents– We can help in instances where your child is injured at school or a playground.
- Uninsured motorist claims—including claims involving uninsured or underinsured drivers and hit-and-run accidents. If a driver without adequate insurance caused an accident, please do not fret. We can help you recover compensation under your own uninsured motorist insurance coverage or by other means.
We also handle the following additional types of accidents:
- Workplace accidents—including falls from scaffolding, equipment malfunction, being struck by falling objects, and more. Our workers’ compensation attorneysare well-versed in handling a wide range of workplace accident claims.
- Nursing home accidents—including abuse and neglect cases involving physical, sexual, and financial exploitation. Our elderly loved ones trust us to take care of them—let our lawyers uphold their right to be treated with respect.
- Wrongful death—including deaths caused by auto accidents, slip and falls, workplace accidents, and more. When a loved one is killed by another’s reckless behavior, you deserve to get justice on their behalf.
Types of injuries
Tragically, many of our clients are seriously injured because of another person’s reckless actions. In situations involving catastrophic injuries, your life may be altered forever.
Common kinds of injuries our clients sustain include:
- Brain injuries
- Burn injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Loss of limb
- Internal bleeding
- Severe bruising
Common questions about filing a personal injury claim in South Carolina
Most of our clients come into our office knowing next to nothing about the law. They have never been in this situation before. They have many unanswered questions. We understand and are ready to explain what needs to done.
How long do I have to file my claim?
Throughout South Carolina, you typically have three years from the date of the injury or the date of the discovery of the injury to file a personal injury claim. If the claim is against a government entity, you typically only have two years to file.
My child was injured. Can I file a lawsuit on his/her behalf?
Yes. You generally have until the child turns 19 years old to file a lawsuit on his or her behalf. In a child personal injury case, you’ll generally have two suits. One is for the parents, which compensates them for medical bills, property damage, and lost wages associated with caring for their child. The other lawsuit would be for the child, to compensate him or her for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and other non-economic damages.
How much money is my case worth?
While no one can guarantee you a specific dollar amount, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Peake & Fowler can break down what types of damages you may receive. In South Carolina, you may be entitled to economic compensation for:
- Medical expenses — past, present, and future
- Lost wages — past, present, and future
- Loss of earning ability
- Property damage caused by the accident
You could also be awarded “non-economic” damages
- Emotional and mental distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Punitive damages
Are there limits on how much money I can win?
In South Carolina, there are limits on the amount of money you can be awarded in a medical malpractice case. This does not apply to a standard personal injury case, such as one stemming from a car accident or workplace accident.
However, as far as a personal injury cases are concerned, punitive damages can be unlimited or capped, depending upon the facts of the case. When capped, punitive damages are limited to either 1) the greater of three times actual damages, or $500,000, or 2) four times the amount of compensatory damages, or $2,000.000. Punitive damages are additional monies given to the victim if the at-fault party acted particularly egregiously.