Lugoff, SC Personal Injury Lawyers
Injuries are expensive, but it adds insult to injury when you’re stuck paying for medical bills caused by someone else’s recklessness or negligence. That’s why the civil court system allows victims to seek compensation with a personal injury claim. In Lugoff, personal injury cases are handled by the Kershaw County Circuit Court. A successful claim may allow you to recover damages for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental trauma
- Loss of consortium
In some cases, you can even receive compensation for future losses related to the accident. This is generally restricted to future medical expenses and future lost wages, and it’s really only an option for very serious injuries.
For example, if you suffer a severe traumatic brain injury, you’ll likely need some type of ongoing care for the rest of your life. If it affects your mobility, you may also require periodic physical therapy indefinitely. You deserve compensation for that, especially since long-term medical care can easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
If the injury leaves you permanently unable to do the work you did prior to the accident, consider everything you lose over the course of your career. Depending on your age, you could lose decades of income at your current pay level. You’ll also miss out on annual raises, possible promotions, health benefits, retirement contributions, and more. Without the accident, you would have had access to all of those opportunities. This is definitely worth discussing with your Lugoff personal injury attorney.
Our Practice Areas
The team at Peake & Fowler has handled a wide variety of personal injury claims, giving us the experience and knowledge needed to handle your legal needs. Some of the cases we take include:
- Automobile collisions
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle crashes
- Train accidents
- Slips and falls
- Dog bites
- Nursing home abuse
- Wrongful death
The Process of a Personal Injury Claim in Lugoff
What you do during and after an accident can truly impact your personal injury claim and its success. Know what you should do after an accident and what the typical personal injury claim process looks like.
- Report your injuries to the proper party. You need as much documentation of your injury as possible. If you don’t report it, the liable party may claim that your injury actually wasn’t their fault because you didn’t tell them about it at the time. If you are involved in a car crash, you must report it to the police. A slip and fall injury should be reported to the property owner. A dog bite should be reported to Kershaw County Animal Control.
- Gather evidence. Photos of where you were injured, what caused your injury, and the injury itself are very helpful. You may also want to get contact information for witnesses.
- Seek medical care. Medical care should be non-negotiable after an accident. Skipping a checkup could leave you without the evidence you need to file a personal injury case. Local facilities include MUSC Health Kershaw Medical Center, Lowcountry Urgent Care, and Community Medical Clinic. Keep copies of all reports and documents you receive from care providers.
- Contact an attorney. The earlier you connect with a personal injury lawyer in Lugoff, the sooner they can start investigating your accident and putting a claim together for you. This should be a top priority after getting seen by a doctor.
- Claim evaluation. Your attorney will evaluate your injuries, accident, and overall claim. If you have a valid claim, they will tell you about your options and help you create a plan moving forward.
- Demand letter. Once your lawyer has figured out how much your claim is worth and compiled your evidence, they will send a demand letter to the liable party’s insurance provider. This letter specifies how much they are asking for in a settlement and why they believe that the settlement amount is appropriate.
- This paves the way for negotiations. Ideally, the parties come closer to a compromise with each round of negotiating.
- Settlement agreement or court preparation. For most personal injury claims, this results in a settlement. You sign a liability waiver in exchange for the agreed-upon amount. In others, the victim’s attorney moves forward with a lawsuit to fight for fair compensation.
Why Choose Peake & Fowler?
The team at Peake & Fowler is committed to helping accident victims get the full and fair compensation they deserve. Over the course of our careers, we’ve helped many clients get the money they deserve through jury awards and settlements. We know how hard insurance companies work to deny victims the compensation they deserve, and we’re all too familiar with the tricks they use to hurt victims’ claims.
Our goal is to make sure that the insurance company doesn’t deny you a fair settlement just so they can put more money in their pockets. By building a strong claim and preparing for court, we’ll show them that we’re serious about getting you what you deserve. While we handle the investigation of your claim and negotiations, you can concentrate on recovering and getting back to normal. We’ll be with you every step of the way, keeping you informed of what comes next, your options, and possible outcomes.
Start Your Claim and Contact Us Today
Are you ready to start your personal injury claim and pursue the money you’re entitled to? We’re ready to represent you and your best interests. Set up a meeting now by calling us at 803-788-4370 or contacting us online.