If you or a loved one has been involved in a motor vehicle accident in South Carolina,
a car and truck accident lawyer with our firm will fight to help you obtain compensation you deserve.
What To Do After a Car Accident
Follow These Steps And Then CALL PEAKE & FOWLER LAW FIRM, P.A.!
A car accident can create a lot of confusion. Most folks get very stressed out. It's normal. We understand at Peake & Fowler Law Firm, P.A.. Feel free to print out this page and keep a copy in your car. We hope our tips will help you if you are in an auto accident.
If you are in a car accident, first make sure everybody is safe and out of the road. We then suggest you take the following steps to protect your rights:
- Call the police. Tell law enforcement if anyone is injured or if anyone is intoxicated.
- Gather information. You or someone you trust should obtain the following information from people involved in the accident (including drivers, passengers, pedestrians and witnesses):
- Addresses and driver's license numbers
- Full names
- Insurance status of drivers
- License plate numbers
- Make and model of cars
- Name of person to whom vehicle is registered
- Phone numbers
- Record details. Write down as much information as you can about the accident, including the time and date of the car crash, if anyone was intoxicated, how the accident occurred, the directions of the vehicles, the names and badge numbers of police offers who came to the scene, and any damage to the vehicles that you saw.
- Photograph the crash scene. Make sure your pictures include damage to cars, street signs, skid marks, and weather conditions.
- Map the crash. Create a diagram showing the directions the vehicles were traveling and where the impact or impacts occurred.
- Notice problems? Note if you saw any problems with the vehicles before the accident, such as bald tires, a broken headlight, or if any vehicles were towed from the scene.
- Go to a doctor. Do this even if you were not directly injured in the accident. Injuries, such as whiplash, sometimes are not detected until much later.
- Someone sorry? Make a note if someone accepts responsibility for the accident — for example, if someone says "I'm sorry. It was my fault."
- Call your insurance company. After you've calmed down, consider calling your insurance company. However, if you think that, for any reason, your insurance company is not going to cover the accident, contact Peake & Fowler Law Firm, P.A. before you call your insurance company. Do not answer any questions or offer official statement to the other drivers' insurance company before speaking to an attorney.
Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer with Our Firm
Remember, your initial consultation is free, and you don't pay us unless we get money for you.
Call 1-800-WIN-WIN-1 or (803) 788-4370 today for your free personal injury consultation.